01. The Challenge
Robotics products has been amazing transforming experiences for schools. LEGO and LEGO Education has been a leader in that space for over 20 years. In order to reach the next level, a smooth, playfull, engaging and relevant User Experience is need.
From packaging, to the first experiment with the product, every details count to make a seamless user journey for students, teachers, administrators, STEAM specialist, and sometimes parents.
how do we create a Robotic STEAM Toolbox, so mainstream middle school teachers and students would use it in their classrooms.
02. The Solution
This is the LEGO Education SPIKE Prime set.
It is a LEGO box that include a Hub that can be connected to a device via USB or Bluetooth. It also includes 3 motors, a distance sensor, a color sensor, and a force sensor.
Student would use the bricks to build a LEGO model as their solution to a given problem and animate it using programming blocks, or using Python text program
Students are then presented with engaging Real Life problems, and use age appropriate building system and technology to motivate their journey.
03. My contribution in the Play Interactions
Science flow: Build, Program and interact with a line graph
- Unit Flow: a unit it a learning sequence under a theme. Typically, I have designed a unit to be composed of 6 lessons, starting with an opener (easy and simple, introducing students to the theme), 4 guided lessons (designed to build knowledge and skills) and 1 project (very open brief for maximum creativity and pleasure)
- Lesson Flow: depending on the desired learning outcome, i have adapted the “regular” learning flow and create new play interactions.
- what is the engineering design process
- how to program using Scratch blocks
- how to develop a computational skills
- how to develop a 21st century skills (communication, team work, colaboration, etc.)
- how capture scientific data and make sense of it
- how to prepare themself to participate to a robotic competition
Full stack approach
- User onboarding
- User easy start
- User core experience
- Hardware testing
- Software testing
- Test case creation and execution